Cruise America Resales

So after spending a couple of months now looking through Craigslist ads, and visiting two older RVs for a look-see, I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and go with a Cruise America resale, specifically the Thor Majestic 19g.


I've known about he Cruise America resales for a while - I ran into them early in my motor home research - but I've only recent;y begun to seriously consider them.

I'd written them off earlier for two main reasons:

  1. Price - these unit run anywhere from $26,000 to almost $30,000. That's considerably more than the max $15,000 I was looking to spend on a used one.
  2. Miles - these things come with a stack of miles, anywhere from 130,000 on up. 
These two factors had me eliminating Cruise America as a potential source. But I've begun to change my mind. For one thing, I did a bit or research, and although I can find plenty of people cautioning against buying a Cruise America resale for the very reasons I listed above, non of these nay-sayers actually seems to have gone the Cruise America route. Those who did all had positive things to say about the motor homes. I've yet to find a person who bought a used motor home from Cruise America who was dissatisfied.

Fresh out of the gate, these motor homes come with a 12 month/12,000 mile drive train warranty. Not bad. But even better: there's a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty available for an extra cost. The web site lists $1,650, but it might be negotiable. There's also a 4-year coach protection warranty available that covers pretty much all the interior systems: hot water heater, waste system, air conditioning, gas heating, a/c... seems to cover it all. No price given on the site though. The coach protection warranty is also transferable, so you can transfer it if you sell the motor home before it runs out. I wasn't able to find info on if the drive train warranty was transferable.


I tried to do some research on gas miles, but didn't have anything I could really confirm. I did see 14-15 high way listed, but I wasn't able to confirm that. Motor homes aren't known for their economy. Most of the smaller ones seem to be in the range of 10-12, and 12 tends to be on the high side.  

So that's where I'm sitting right now, although I've yet to take the plunge and actually go look at one of the motor homes. Soon though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1989 Chevy Escaper

Getting Down to the Wire - a Toyota Sunrader

Toyota Sunrader Pick-up and Pics